Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Surrounded By Idiots

In the late 1980s and early 1990s the American musical tide was shifting. Hair metal had taken hold of the guitar-based music, to the extent that Metallica, the couterculture gods, began writing three-minute songs based on a single riff. The music got dumb, and that's why grunge was able to succeed. It parodied the dumbness of popular rock the same way punk parodied the slick glamour of 1970s overprocessed, cheesy arena rock (see The Eagles, who suck, for further information).

But there was still decent music in the pre-grunge and early-grunge eras--mostly underground, where most of the best music has historically been. One of the bands who caught my attention was Wrathchild America, who gave us the song "Surrounded by Idiots."

On days like today, when it seems like I need a hammer and a chisel to get ideas into students' heads, I hear that song in the background, like whatever voices compelled David Berkowitz to kill people. I'm not compelled to kill--just to use explosive language to force people to learn.

So here's Wrathchild America, and their video for "Surrounded by Idiots":




Enjoy.

3 comments:

Jim said...

Wow. I haven't heard that in years, but every time I deal with people the chorus gets stuck in my head.

Ah. I miss the late 80s/early 90s underground music.

Jerry said...

I hearby proclaim that from this day on this shall be my theme song. It shall be played loudly upon my entry into any room, establishment, or domicile.

Jason said...

Jim-

The same thing happens to me. I can't help it--even if I don't think the person in question is an idiot, the song starts up.

Jer-

I'm glad I can be of service. You may want to start traveling with a small stereo with which to play your theme song. Otherwise you may have to sing it yourself, and that's just awkward.