Thursday, February 14, 2008

Happy Valentine's Day

I was planning a long, rambling post about the holiday, but as it turns out I just don't have the energy for it. I'm happy this V-Day, but I'm one of the lucky ones. Our culture makes it too easy for people to get depressed on a day like this: If you're single you're a failure; if you don't spend a ton of cash on your spouse/partner/significant other/stalkee you're a failure; if you can't think of something brilliant to bestow upon your lover you're insufficiently romantic, and, therefore, a failure.

Something about the promotion of conspicuous consumption as a sign of affection rubs me the wrong way. On the other hand, having a day set aside for expressing love doesn't mean one can't express it the rest of the year, so what's the real harm?

Happy Thursday.

2 comments:

Jess said...

Stalkee. Ha. A few years ago, that was all I had on V-Day. Stalkees.

Jason said...

But you were always better than that. You just needed to find a guy worthy of you.

I hope you have. Otherwise the BFW is in huge trouble. From the Pink Torpedoes and from the Mankato crew.