Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Sorry, Silas. Maybe later.

Greg was right.

I went through the MSU MFA program feeling under-read, and everyone I talked to felt the same--even the lit freaks. No matter what I've read, others have read bushels of other stuff. Well, what if the other stuff is canonical? What if it's Hemingway and Faukner and Eliot? I read by spasm, it seemed. Hardy. Kafka. George Saunders. Camus. Kundera. Vonnegut. Heller. Ellison. Morrison. Dostoyevsky.

And that's only when I was reading lit. I had a philosophy fix to attend to. Dick Liebendorfer made me want desperately to read Wittgenstein and Ayer, Dennett and Hume.

So I have to say I'm done for now. Thanks, George Eliot. Silas Marner isn't for me just now. I've given it five days. I just can't do it. No description, no action. Blech.

Greg said last year that he just won't read a book he doesn't want to. Life is too short. I'm with you, Greg. And for the first time in my life I can exercise that. I'm not reading Silas Marner right now, just like I stopped reading Swann's Way a couple of months ago.

It really had no chance, Silas Marner. I'd had too much fun on the way to it. I read Flannery O'Connor, Kurt Vonnegut, and George Saunders. Lived it up. Then Silas yawwwwwwn Marner.

I'm good. Looking for another read. Guess maybe this time it might be Faulkner again--Soldier's Pay.

1 comment:

Diana said...

I'll be curious to know what you think of Solider's Pay...

Since you like O'Connor and West, how about Carson McCullers? Southern Gothic, lots of freaks and misfits, but the writer has deep empathy for her people. There's a decent sized catalogue for you to work your way through: Ballad of the Sad Cafe; The Heart is a Lonely Hunter; Member of the Wedding; Reflections in the Golden Eye.