Monday, July 14, 2008

The Cover


So the New Yorker printed a cover of Barack Obama, and it was a stupid one. There's been a huge uproar about it, and for various reasons. Here's one take from Obama's staff:

The New Yorker may think, as one of their staff explained to us, that their cover is a satirical lampoon of the caricature Senator Obama's right-wing critics have tried to create. But most readers will see it as tasteless and offensive. And we agree.
I guess I'm not most readers. I don't see this as tasteless or offensive. I see it as stupid. But seriously--I'm as avid a supporter of Obama as there is, but this really isn't a comment on anything but the good sense of the New Yorker.

Here's the likely reaction of the Obama supporter: The New Yorker is being mean! I'll stop reading it.

And the McCain Supporter: I knew he was a Mohammedan! To war!

And the Clinton supporter: Okay, we used some slimy tactics. Why didn't ours get in the New Yorker?

I suppose there are people stupid enough to accept the cover for what it says, but let's face it: they were either conservative or New Yorker employees to begin with. Not exactly Mensa material here.

2 comments:

Jim said...

What really impresses me with this cover is that they're bumping fists.

BOOYAH!

Jason said...

Well, why wouldn't an Islamic psychopath misogynist bump fists with an assertive, revolutionary female?

Oh, wait . . .