Friday, June 06, 2008

Futureland by Walter Mosley

I've never read Walter Mosley before. Detective stories have to work hard just to get my attention, though I'm more receptive to the genre since I read Raymond Chandler a while ago. I didn't even know Mosley wrote science fiction until I found this on the Amazon bargain list (I needed something cheap to round out an order), but it looked interesting so I ordered it.

"Interesting" isn't the word. "Excellent" is. This is the kind of science fiction that makes meaningful social commentary in an artistic way. The world Mosley creates is plausible and visceral. It took a couple of days after I finished this to really understand the effect it had on me. It's still making me think. I like when that happens.

If I were to compare this to something else, I'd say it's a blend of William Gibson cyberpunk and Ralph Ellison's Invisible Man. Pretty powerful stuff.

No comments: