Tuesday, February 05, 2008

My Hero

Okay, so that might be a bit dramatic. Tom Waits isn't really my hero, but he is the musician I admire most, and has been for about six years. His creativity, versatility, and quirkiness make him (to me) the musical equivalent of Flannery O'Connor and Nathanael West. You just never know where he's taking you.

So I posted his video for "Lie to Me" on the right. Actually, this is a Waits song that even Michele can like. Usually she just wants to hand him a cough drop, because his voice is so abused, but for this song he employs a clean voice. For the most part.

Just for contrast, I've included a 1977 recording of Waits singing "Tom Traubert's Blues." His voice is in fine, gurgly, gravelly form on this performance. I love it. Michele will not.

No comments: