Sunday, May 06, 2007

A Busy Week

I had a lot going on this week. I worked nine- and ten-hour days at Book Distributor and my last few shifts at Book Store. Then we had a concert to attend, Michele's graduation on Friday night, and some landscaping at my mom's house yesterday morning.

I worked Book Store on Sunday, Monday, and Wednesday nights. On Wednesday my co-workers gave me a going-away gift:
Yep. My very own copy of The Cat in the Hat. There's a reason for this choice, though. The day I started working there was also Kurt's first day. Kurt's a couple inches taller than me, but he slouches, so we're about the same size. He wears glasses, and we really don't look much alike other than being caucasian males with some shade of brown hair. Nevertheless, Di couldn't keep our names straight, so she resorted to calling us "Thing 1" and "Thing 2." That stuck, so when it was time for me to go they got me this book and everyone signed it and lied and said nice things about me and it was kind of touching.

Thursday night we attended a concert at the Historic State Theater, which is a really cool place to see a show. We saw Loreena McKennitt there:
She and her band played Celtic-inspired pop-folk. Michele's a big fan and I don't mind the music, so we went. It turns out that the music's a lot more dynamic and compelling when played live. The musicians were all excellent, and even if there were too many ballads mixed in for my taste, especially toward the end, it was a good time. Didn't get home until midnight, so Friday morning was a bit of hell.

Then Friday night Michele graduated. She still has to take her finals next week, but never mind. She walked. Here she is with a couple of friends before the ceremony:

And then on her way into the auditorium:

And, finally, on her way out, empty diploma-folder in hand:

The pictures showcase my naturally-developed talent for putting the subject of a photo in locations other than the center, and my special red-eye-enhancement technique.

Then yesterday before the rain I went to my mom's house and cut down a couple little trees and chopped them up for disposal. Then I carried five or six rocks across the lawn, and then I scattered some grass seed.

Good thing I ditched the second job. The next couple months will be full of weekends like that.

No comments: